What is Expanded Notation?

Date: 08/22/2001 at 18:20:15
From: Guy Sularz
Subject: Math

My daughter was asked to rewrite each number as expanded notation.
What is expanded notation?

Thank you.

Date: 08/23/2001 at 08:26:25
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: Math

Hi Guy - thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

Here's an explanation of expanded notation by Mary Lou, from our
Teacher2Teacher service:

   http://mathforum.org/t2t/thread.taco?thread=278

   The Hindu Arabic system that is used to write
   numbers assigns a place value to a position
   in a number. The number 5487.32 consists
   of the digits:  2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8. However, each
   of these digits occupies a different position in
   the number. The 2 represents 2/100ths. The 3
   represents 3/10ths. The 7 represents 7 units
   or 7. The 8 represents 8 tens or 80. The 4
   represents 4 hundreds or 400, whereas the 5
   represents 5 thousands or 5,000.

   To write the number 5487.32 in expanded
   notation you would write:

          5000 + 400 + 80 + 7 + 3/10 + 2/100.

   Try some. Remember that if there is a zero in
   the number, such as in 5039, the zero says that
   there are zero hundreds or no hundreds. The
   expanded notation for 5039 is 5000 + 30 + 9.

You might also want to look at an answer about expanded form and
standard form from our Dr. Math archives:

   Expanded and Standard Forms

- Doctor Sarah, The Math Forum

Elementary Number Sense/About Numbers