Volume of a Cylinder

Date: 7/30/96 at 15:50:29
From: Anonymous
Subject: Volume of a Cylinder

I need help with this problem. Here goes:

A cylindrical storage tank has a diameter of 6m and a height of 5m.
What is the volume of the storage tank??

I know this is a fairly simple problem, but I've forgotten the formula
for the volume of a cylinder. Could you help by sending me this
formula, please?

Thanks for your time,
Lindsay

Date: 7/30/96 at 16:10:18
From: Doctor Robert
Subject: Re: Volume of a Cylinder

I am assuming that this is a circular cylinder.  The volume of a
cylinder is the area of the base times its height.  The area of the
base is pi times r^2, where r is the radius.  So the complete
"formula" would be

   V = (pi)r^2 x h where h is the height.

The answer to your problem would be V = pi 3^2 x 5 = 45 pi cubic
meters or approximately 141.37155 cubic meters.

-Doctor Robert,  The Math Forum

High School Geometry
High School Higher-Dimensional Geometry
Middle School Geometry