The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math

Name of Division Symbol

Date: 7/31/96 at 12:1:30
From: Anonymous
Subject: Name of Division Symbol

Last year my sixth grade math teacher asked if anyone knew what the 
official name for the division bracket was.

I've searched in math books and algebra books, asked math teachers at 
colleges and other middle schools,  asked my fifth grade teacher who 
told me the answer when I was in fifth grade, but both of us have 
forgotten.  No one has found it. Any help would be greatly 
appreciated.  Thanks.


Date: 8/2/96 at 21:37:43
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: Name of Division Symbol

Hi Bonnie! This is a great question and we're still looking for 

Dr. Mike says:

   The character "/" that is used for writing fractions all in
   one line, like  7/8 , is sometimes called Solidus or Virgule.
   I do not know of a name used for the horizontal line separating
   the numerator and denominator when it is written the other way.

Is that what you are looking for?

If you need information on the names of other division symbols, please
take a look at another archived entry on the topic, at:   

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum
 Check out our web site!   
Associated Topics:
Elementary Definitions
Elementary Division
Middle School Definitions
Middle School Division

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.