Name of Division Symbol

Date: 7/31/96 at 12:1:30
From: Anonymous
Subject: Name of Division Symbol

Last year my sixth grade math teacher asked if anyone knew what the
official name for the division bracket was.

I've searched in math books and algebra books, asked math teachers at
colleges and other middle schools,  asked my fifth grade teacher who
told me the answer when I was in fifth grade, but both of us have
forgotten.  No one has found it. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks.

Bonnie

Date: 8/2/96 at 21:37:43
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: Name of Division Symbol

Hi Bonnie! This is a great question and we're still looking for
answers.

Dr. Mike says:

   The character "/" that is used for writing fractions all in
   one line, like  7/8 , is sometimes called Solidus or Virgule.
   I do not know of a name used for the horizontal line separating
   the numerator and denominator when it is written the other way.

Is that what you are looking for?

If you need information on the names of other division symbols, please
take a look at another archived entry on the topic, at:

   http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/elsea10.23.98.html

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Elementary Definitions
Elementary Division