2 Square Feet vs. 2 Feet Square

Date: 11/22/98 at 12:04:03
From: Natalie
Subject: The difference between 2 sq. ft. and 2 ft. square

A student asked me this question and I don't know how to respond.

What is the difference between 2 square feet and 2 feet square?

I have tried looking in old math books but have not been able to come
up with a good answer. Thank you for helping.

Date: 11/22/98 at 15:05:12
From: Doctor Rick
Subject: Re: The difference between 2 sq. ft. and 2 ft. square

Hi, Natalie,

"2 feet square" refers to a square that is 2 feet on a side, that is,
2 feet by 2 feet.

"2 square feet" is a measure of area. It can refer to any shape (a
rectangle 1 foot by 2 feet, for instance).

The area of a 2-foot square is 4 square feet (2 feet * 2 feet).

- Doctor Rick, The Math Forum

Elementary Definitions
Elementary Geometry
Elementary Measurement