The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math

Parts of a Subtraction Problem

Date: 04/09/2001 at 13:51:47
From: Paula Allen
Subject: Subtraction

In subtraction:

     4 - 1 = 3

3 is called the difference. What are the 4 and the 1 called?

(In addition, addend + addend = sum.)
(In multiplication, factor x factor = product.)

Date: 04/09/2001 at 14:22:36
From: Doctor Douglas
Subject: Re: subtraction

Hi Paula, and thanks for writing to Ask Dr. Math.

These English words are rarely used, but here they are: 

     4 is called the minuend.
     1 is called the subtrahend.

There are terms for the parts of addition and multiplication problems 
as well:


     4 + 1 = 5

     4 is called the augend.
     1 is called the addend.


     4 x 2 = 8

     4 is called the multiplicand.
     2 is called the multiplier.

I hope this helps!  For more of this kind of vocabulary, see:


- Doctors Douglas and TWE, The Math Forum   
Associated Topics:
Elementary Addition
Elementary Definitions
Elementary Multiplication
Elementary Subtraction

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.