Dividing Candy Among Friends

Date: 04/04/97 at 20:29:18
From: Meghan Elizabeth Clare
Subject: Dividing candy

Dear Dr.Math,

I have 48 pieces of candy and I want to give candy to 6 friends. How
many pieces of candy will each friend get?

Love,
Meghan

Date: 05/03/97 at 19:14:03
From: Doctor Sydney
Subject: Re: Dividing candy

Hi Meghan,

I think it is very nice of you to want to share your candy with your
friends.  One way to divide the candy would be to make 6 piles of
candy by first putting one piece in each pile and then add one more
piece to each pile and then one more piece and one more until you run
out of candy. If you do this carefully you will find that each pile
has 8 pieces of candy when you are done. So each friend get 8 pieces
of candy.

This process is called dividing, right? You are dividing 48 into 6
groups of 8 pieces. How does this relate to multiplication and
division?  Well, 6 times 8 = 48, right?  Remember, that we can
interpret 6 times 8 as meaning 6 groups of 8. So, the equation,
"6 x 8 = 48" can be translated to mean "when we have 6 groups of
8 things we have a total of 48 things."

We can also think about this problem in terms of division. If we want
to divide 48 into 6 groups, that corresponds to figuring out what 48
divided by 6 is, right?  And we know that 48 divided by 6 is 8.  This
agrees with our answer above!  Phew!

Do you see the relation between multiplication and division and your
problem?  How would you answer the following question: Suppose you
were given 12 more pieces of candy, and suppose you still want to give
an equal amount to six people.  How many pieces of candy would each
person get?

-Doctors Judy and Sydney,  The Math Forum

Elementary Division