4th Grade Estimation Problems

Date: 10/3/96 at 14:8:35
From: Anonymous
Subject: Definition of terms

What type of problem exemplifies "use order of magnitude in
estimation" and "use compensation in estimation" at the fourth grade
level of mathematics?

These are two objectives on a test given to 4th grade students and
sample problems for teachers to use must be constructed for practice.

Can you give me a better definition or example? I have not found
anyone who can answer my question - not even the people who wrote the
specifications for the math test!  Your help would be appreciated.

Georgia R.

Date: 10/3/96 at 13:10:8
From: Doctor Leigh
Subject: Re: Definition of terms

"Use order of magnitude in estimation" refers to having students
decide, for example, if a picture of the start of the New York
City Marathon contains either hundreds or thousands of people...
Making the distinction between groupings of different magnitudes
of the powers of 10.

"Use of compensation in estimation" refers to students being able to
recognize that squares will fit soundly together while other shapes
will not.  Also if you are estimating, say the number of items in a
jar, and there are different shape items, the student should recognize
that they will have to compensate for that.

-Doctor Leigh Ann,  The Math Forum

Date: 10/3/96 at 14:10:47
From: Anonymous

Thanks so much.  You have been a big help but I still cannot
understand how a problem might be written that would test that
type of skill.

Date: 10/4/96 at 7:29:39
From: Doctor Leigh

I have seen examples where a picture is included that contains a large
number of objects contained within it.  The student is then supposed
to estimate whether or not there are 10s, 100s or thousands within the
picture.

Research estimation at all levels and you should be able to find it.

-Doctor Leigh Ann,  The Math Forum

Date: 10/4/96 at 18:48:26
From: Anonymous

Thanks, you've been a great help.  I have been successful in my
search.

Associated Topics:
Elementary Place Value
Elementary Projects