Plane Symmetry

Date: 10/3/95 at 17:28:29
From: Anonymous
Subject: plane symmetry

I am a first year b.ed. student and have to do a mathematics paper
on plane symmetry and also a challenging activity related to this.
The activity has to be appropriate for grades four to six.  I have
checked a lot of mathematics texts, but they fail to give me an
in-depth understanding of this topic.  Can you suggest a possible
resource I could use, or do you have any suggestions for me?  I
would appreciate any help you can give me.  Thanks.

Date: 10/9/95 at 20:31:6
From: Doctor Jonathan
Subject: Re: plane symmetry

Plane symmetry is analogous to line symmetry, except in three
dimensions.  For example, if the graph of an equation
f(x,y,z)=g(x,y,z) has plane symmetry about the x-y plane, then the
point (x,y,z) satisfies the equation if and only if (x,y,-z) does
as well.  As for a good way to illustrate this to students, you
might want to use a mirror (which would be the plane of symmetry)
and some simple objects. The image they see "through" the mirror
has plane symmetry. You might want to ask the kids if they can
think of everyday objects that exhibit plane symmetry and see if
they can say where the reflecting plane is in each object. Some
common objects with plane symmetry: spheres, boxes, swords, planes
(that fly), humans (sort of).  If the kids really aren't
nterested, you could mention that handguns, swords and bombs have
plane symmetry. You might ask them: How many planes of symmetry
does a cube have? A sphere?

Hope this helps.

-Doctor Jonathan,  The Geometry Forum

Associated Topics: