Venn Diagram of Our Number System

Date: 12/13/2002 at 16:02:30
From: Ed Cramer
Subject: Venn Diagram of our Number System

I have learned that Real Numbers include counting numbers, whole
numbers, integers, and rational and irrational numbers. With Real
Numbers as the Universe I can (I think) draw a Venn diagram of this
Universe, but I don't know how to include complex numbers that consist
of a real part and and imaginary part. Can you please actually diagram
this for me?

Thank you ahead of time,
Ed Cramer

Date: 12/13/2002 at 21:25:08
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Venn Diagram of our Number System

Hi, Ed.

Here are a couple of pages on our site that diagram these relationships:

   Classifying Numbers

                           complex
                            /   \
                   imaginary     real
                                /    \
                      irrational    rational
                                     /    \
                             integers      fractions
                                 |             |
                               whole        integers

                             naturals

The following includes more types of numbers, and makes it more
complicated than we want:

   Types of Numbers

Using the version above, we get this Venn diagram:

    |                  Complex                  |
    | +---------------------------------------+ |
    | |               Imaginary               | |
    | +---------------------------------------+ |
    | +---------------------------------------+ |
    | | R             Irrational              | |
    | +-E-------------------------------------+ |
    | | A              Rational               | |
    | | L +--------------+-+--------------+   | |
    | |   |            Integer            |   | |
    | |   |              |Whole           |   | |
    | |   |              | |  Natural     |   | |
    | |   |              | |              |   | |
    | |   |  Negative    |0|  Positive    |   | |
    | |   +--------------+-+--------------+   | |
    | +---------------------------------------+ |

Note that there are complex numbers that are neither real nor
imaginary (which answers your question), and rational numbers that are
not integers, but all real numbers are either rational or irrational,
and all integers are either positive, negative, or zero. Integers,
whole numbers, and natural numbers are subsets of one another.

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum

Elementary Number Sense/About Numbers
High School Discrete Mathematics
High School Logic