Least Common Multiple with Zero

Date: 03/26/2003 at 12:03:20
From: Pops
Subject: Least Common Multiple with zero

I'm trying to find any reference about the least common multiple of
two numbers when one (or both) is zero.

Could you help me, please?

Date: 03/26/2003 at 15:46:31
From: Doctor Rick
Subject: Re: Least Common Multiple with zero

Hi, Pops.

No number except zero is a multiple of zero, because zero times
anything is zero. The only multiple that, say, 0 and 5 have in common
is 0. Thus, if the LCM of 0 and 5 exists at all, it must be 0.

We do not count zero as a common multiple. If we did, then zero would
be the least common multiple of any two numbers (unless we also
counted negative multiples, in which case there would be no least
common multiple of any two numbers).

Either we make an exception in this case, so that the LCM of zero and
any number is zero, or we make no exception, in which case the LCM of
zero and any number does not exist. To me it makes more sense to say
that the LCM is defined only for positive numbers.

See the definition of LCM here:

   Least Common Multiple - Eric Weisstein, World of Mathematics
   http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LeastCommonMultiple.html

It says, "The least common multiple of two numbers a and b is the
smallest number m for which there exist POSITIVE integers n_a and n_b
such that n_a*a = n_b*b = m." [Emphasis is mine.] If the LCM of 0 and
5 were 0, we'd have a = 0, b = 5, n_a = any number, and n_b = 0 -
which is not a positive integer, so it fails this definition. Thus,
while the definition does not explicitly say that the two numbers
must be positive, this is implied by the definition.

I have to ask: Why do you care? Is there a context in which you need
the LCM of zero and another number?

- Doctor Rick, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 03/28/2003 at 03:34:33
From: Pops

I'm a computer science professor and I'm proposing to the students a
program to obtain the LCM of two numbers. My aim is to explain the
correct answers in all possible "legal" situations.

Thank you very much for your response.

Pops.
Associated Topics:
Elementary Definitions