Subject:   The "Bell Curve" applet discussion
Author: rabeldin
Date: Jan 12 2005
I found the following in the discussion of continuous distributions.

"Student: So if I flipped a coin, and kept track of the number of heads,
forever, I'd really get half heads.

Mentor: Yes. And if you flipped two coins at a time, and kept track of how many
heads you got each time, you might get a histogram like this: "

This reinforces the common misconception that at some point the number of heads
and number of tails will become equal. In fact, theory shows that large
(absolute) deviations from 50:50 are very likely. It is only the relative error
that goes to zero.  I suggest that the "student's" comment be edited to avoid
the false potential interpretation.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Probability & Statistics discussion

Discussion Help