Subject:   RE: Frustrations
Author: George Reese
Date: Apr 7 2004
Hi Suzanne and Jon,

I think I understand where Jon is coming from. I went back and looked at the
.co.jp applets that we've discussed and there do seem to be differences between
those and others. For one thing, the Japanese applets don't shy aware from
mathematical symbols and very textbook-like presentations. Applets on
integration, the Pythagorean theorem, translation and rotation, all seem like
demonstration applets.

Many of the other math tools are tools for inquiry. Where you could spend
considerable amounts of time just doing trial-and-error inquiry.

George

On Apr 06, 2004, Suzanne wrote:

Hi Jon (and others who have thoughts about this),

Your statement:
    "I can't forsee something like this holding students' attention
    for very long."
makes me think of asking how you imagine using Java applets or other technology
in a class with students.

Do you think of these tools as stand-alone activities that students work on
independently and that is why you wonder how long a student's attention would be
held?

Do you imagine using them in a classroom setting? Do you imagine a teacher would
only assign students to use them at home? Do you imagine students coming upon
these applets on their own or within the context of a lesson? If it's within the
context of a lesson, what would that context be?

Suzanne

yes  no

Discussion Help