Subject:   RE: Developing Fraction Concepts
Author: Jamanice
Date: Nov 7 2004
I tried to develop fraction concepts through writing exercises in my 7th grade
math class by asking my students to write a paragraph on why common denominators
are needed  when adding and subtracting fractions. They were to use everyday
examples in their essays.

We also spent class time reading the essays. One student used cats and dogs as
her example: 5 cats plus 2 dogs equal 5 cats and 2 dogs, but if animals is used
as a common denominator we can say 7 animals. The students related well to
essays written by their peers.

On Nov  5 2004, nolandog wrote:
> I have found that if you have the students find fractional parts of
> many different real life objects they will be able to think beyond
> numbers. One activity they enjoy is to take a favorite saying or
> short riddle and use it the answer to breaking a code. An example
> would explain it clearer. The first 1/4 of doughnut + the middle 1/5
> of dodge = dog. They will need to see an example of this and their
> first attempts will be in the form of the first 1/x of each word but
> experience will help. When each student has a really good puzzle we
> send them to another class for them to solve.

Also, the book
> "It's Not Immoral to Count on Your Fingers" is a great resource. I
> have used it for several years. My students are high school SCI and
> lower resource and they resist using the manipulative circles. I
> have found over the years that you must make them. I try to explain
> to them that everyone uses a manipulative of some sort but they
> still think it is being a baby. Often I will use two sets of the
> circles to model a fraction. The 3 of 3/4 would be modeled with 3 of
> the quarter circles and the 4 with 4 of the quarter circles.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the General Discussion in Math 7 discussion
Visit related discussions:
Math 7

Discussion Help