Subject:   How technology can enhance math learning
Author: lanius
Date: Apr 29 2005
Hello all,

Yesterday I saw an antecdote about high school students who when asked to write
the decimal equivalant of something like 5 + 3/100 + 7/10000 grabbed their
calculators and started punching in numbers.

It is easy to find examples of over-reliance on calculators like this.

On the other hand, how can technology be used to deepen students' mathematical
understanding? Suzanne has added several tPoWs into the Math Tools site. (Look
under Browse->All Resource Types). TPoWs are non-routine challenge problems
designed to be solved and/or presented with software. This could be a good place
to start a discussion about problems that are enhanced with technolgoy.

OK, I'd like to hear about how technology SUPPORTS learning in your class.

Thanks, cynthia

yes  no

Discussion Help