Subject:   RE: Jeff's Wednesday ToolFest Question
Author: Mathman
Date: Jun 15 2005
On Jun 15 2005, Jeff L wrote:

> (2) locate a
> good tool for discovering and practicing subtraction from numbers
> with zeros, e.g. 3004-1789

May I again suggest the spreadsheet, which can generate random questions ...and
answers.  I could post a simple example here on how to do that if you wish.
Again, method is just that, and is taught as a process to be learned by
practice.  All it will do is to save the teacher much time in preparing
questions for practice.  For example, one of the form X00Y - any lesser four
digit number can be done with as many such questions as are desired [randomness
does give the odd chance of repetition, but that's irrelevant.]  However, the
actual process can be learned only by step-by-step discussion, possibly
Socratic [asking students for what to do next with an example or two.]  It is
the discussion that is important, not the medium, slate or software.

David.

yes  no

Discussion Help