Subject:   RE: Jeff's Friday ToolFest Question
Author: Suzanne
Date: Jul 23 2005
One idea that I think is very effective is to combine non-tech tools with
high-tech tools. In other words, have students use hands-on manipulatives at
the same time or during the same lesson as they are using virtual manipulatives.
Some of the combinations that I've used with middle school students include:

tangrams (plastic sets)
tangrams - virtual manipulative
       http://mathforum.org/mathtools/tool/3006/

small rubber people
       http://mathforum.org/clime/image3.jpg
Traffic Jam applet
       http://mathforum.org/mathtools/tool/10/

activity pattern blocks (plastic sets)
Patterns Applet - virtual manipulative
       http://mathforum.org/mathtools/tool/471/

graph paper and pencil
General Coordinates Game
       http://mathforum.org/mathtools/tool/315/

Does anyone else use combinations like this? Can you list the virtual tool and
the non-tech tool? Are there reasons that you use both? Is it availablity of
computers or do you think using both actually helps students learn more?

Thanks,
Suzanne

yes  no

Discussion Help