Subject:   RE: TI83 Graphing Calculator Online
Author: Alan Cooper
Date: Aug 21 2005
On Aug 20 2005, MrsHawK wrote:
> . . .
> I find theTI-83 really helpful in cacluting lines of best fit,
> something that is brutally tedious by hand.
> . . .

I wonder, though, whether the skill of being able to produce such lines on a
calculator is as useful for the actual practice of statistics as that of just
drawing them in "by eye" on a scatter plot.

Not only is the latter usually just as reliable for practical purposes, but it
also enforces the discipline of actually looking at the plot and thinking about
issues such as outliers, homoscedasticity, and linearity. The amount of junk
science that has been written by button pushers who paid no attention to the
inappropriateness of applying linear regression to nonlinear data is truly
frightening.

Alan

yes  no

Discussion Help