Subject:   e-archives question
Author: Jeff L
Date: Aug 22 2005
(This may end up as a rhetorical question, but I am curious if anyone else has
opinions.)

How can we assure the continued existence of good software when the developer is
no longer with us? Is there anything that can be done to keep it
up-to-date?

What happens to various resources when nature, retirement, or change of focus
intervenes. For an example, see http://www.trottermath.net/ established by the
former Terry Trotter (see http://www.geocities.com/go_darkness/trotter.html ).
Terry gently chided me on some of my word choices for some scripts, until I got
it right - and then he included it on his site. I do not know who is currently
running the Trotter site, but what happens to the materials when the plug is
ultimately pulled?

JavaScripts, graphics, lesson plans and many of the current resources on the web
in the public domain are transportable, i.e., they can be copied and inserted
into web pages for a specific use. Some are one-of-a-kind, some are too
specific, and some are outdated.
If something is good, how do we assure its availability in the event the site
maintainers cannot keep up their web presence?

yes  no

Discussion Help