Subject:   RE: Conceptual approach to factoring polynomials
Author: Mathman
Date: Dec 7 2006
On Dec  7 2006, thom96 wrote:
> I would be interested in any method you would be willing to share.
> Some of my students are still having trouble with factoring
> polynomials of all types.  Thank you.

I find the fact that we must use ASCII in this day and age appalling, and it
would be so much simpler if I could send you an example or two by attachment. If
you would be willing to offer your email address, I would send not only a PDF
with examples and explanation, but would also send some practice spreadsheets I
did a long time back on that and more.  The sheets generate numerous random
practice problems for printout, limits chosen by the teacher, with answers on a
separate sheet.  These can be used in reverse to offer problems in binary
multiplication of factors.  However, all said and done, there is no way around
the fact that factoring is a matter of choice of method, and that there is
memory work involved in the process ...the recognition of pattern.  That largely
takes practice, practice, practice.  For that, the sheets would help, and I'll
outline the method for general binomials clearly in the PDF.

David.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:
Algebra