Subject:   RE: Understanding Distance, Speed, and Time Relationships Using Simulation Software tool
Author: MarcJL
Date: Jul 5 2007
On Jul  4 2007, R. Strausz wrote:
> I really like this tool. Does anyone have any ideas how they would
> use it in a classroom where there was only one computer (with a
> projector so that everyone could see it)?

Put the two runners up on the screen.  Assign each a starting position and a
rate of speed.  Let the kids bet on which runner will cross the finish line
first.  This would be better with more than two runners...

I give bonus tickets in class.  These could be used as currency for
betting...

Let the students argue in advance about which runner they think will win and
write down an explanation of how they "picked a winner"...

Racing forms (in Chicago at Arlington Raceway, for example, but any nearby track
will do) offer data on how fast listed horses have run previous races.

Are the horses average speeds related to their odds of winning?  This transcends
slope but picks up lots of other math "standards".

yes  no
Visit related discussions:

Discussion Help