Subject:   RE: How can you focus students on learning rather than gaming?
Author: wiredwullff
Date: Aug 14 2010
On Jul 14 2010, Mrs. McGaw wrote:
> They hate that learning thing and would rather play.  The problem
> is, they are learning as they are playing.  The trick is to get them
> to verbalize what they are learning.  You can get some lively
> discussions going through competition      concerning this

I am not a teacher, {but have tutored friends to pass math}, but I have a
suggestion; why not make a game or compitition on really good problems perhaps
splitting a class into teams for each new problem which would improve the
chances of eveyrone winning over time [perhaps you could graph the results of
the winner-losers over time and relate the results to number series of special
interest. for example you could provide the math to figure moving in a line in
time and space according to Einstien and show how the fist application of a
imaginary number took place. the math provided it would still be hard for teams
and yet as teams they would gain experience in working a problem as a group ,
learning something of real value , and a real feeling of accomplishment for
working a hard problem. perhaps the ones to solve it or solve it the quickest
could reap a reward like on a hells kitchen show. while the losers could have a
study time or ?. it could be a once in a week or every day or? perhaps you could
stimulate game design /theory disscussions and ask them to develop a game using
the software tool and to explain it with simple game theory ideas already
discussed. I myself was in the third grade taught algreba by a teacher in a
special week course that was designed to show that students at that age cuold
grasp the subject if presented right and firmly believe that these concepts I
suggested could also be presented. hopefully there is something in my suggestion
that leads to something-like I said I am no teacher.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:

Discussion Help