Subject:   RE: Is a rhombus a kite?
Author: Alan Cooper
Date: May 5 2005
On May  5 2005, Craig wrote:
> . . . three defined a kite as a quadrilateral with
> "distinct pairs of congruent sides," . . .
That's odd.   Without the stipulation that the pairs consist of adjacent sides
this would include any parallelogram.

I think you are right when you say:
> the answer is: you decide what you want a kite to be (maybe agreeing
> with the author of your textbook, if s/he offers one, would be best
> for your students).
I also share your preference for the non-exclusive definition; and I like your
perpendicularly bisected diagonal, as that's what makes the most direct
connection to the physical object which motivates the term 'kite' in the first
place.
cheers,
   Alan

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Geometry discussion

Discussion Help