Subject:   Web Logs ("blogs") for teaching and learning mathematics
Author: Craig
Date: Mar 6 2006
I am not a "digital native."  Using technology is not as natural for me as it is
for my [much!] younger students.  While that is to my advantage in "mental
arithmetic" situations, it means I struggle to reach my students "where they
are."  I have yet to own a cell phone or use instant messaging, for example.  I
was introduced (through MathTools' "virtual math teams" project) to use of
internet chats for problem solving, and I've seen a few articles about blogging.
I set up my own blog, but haven't really used it much.

Frances Harris (our librarian, and author of the book "I Found It On The
Internet) recently showed me what appears to be an effective use of a web log as
a teaching tool for a Canadian math teacher, Darren Kuropatwa.  I encourage you
to investigate what this teacher has done, and to comment on it in this
discussion.

This link is to Mr. Kuropatwa's profile page, which has links to each course
blog: http://www.blogger.com/profile/6306028

This link is to the teacher's discussion of the blog's effectiveness:
http://adifference.blogspot.com/2005/11/scribe-post.html

yes  no
Visit related discussions:
Computer