Subject:   RE: Smartboard and Geometric Constructions
Author: Mathman
Date: Aug 30 2006
On Aug 30 2006, ihor wrote:
>A more significant
> mathematical point is to make sure that the students understand that
> a line represents an infinite set of points

Not to be argumentative, and since it has been forty years since I saw the stuff
[Affine Geometry] and might well be wrong, but aren't "point" and "line"
distinct?  That is a foundation for duality, and although points may lie in a
line, that does not make a line an infinite set of points.  So, two points are
necessary and sufficient to define one line [will lie on exactly one line], and
two lines can intersect in only one point.

Anyhow, the only point I'm trying to make is that if students set off on the
right track that's half the battle later on.  Pencil [*] and paper work very
well, and is much cheaper.

[*] Hence once the need for a "Hard, sharp pencil."

I'll go no further, since I wish to respect the intent of these discussions to
provide information about software/hardware.  However, I would like to maintain
a balance in so far as is possible.

David.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Geometry discussion

Discussion Help