Subject:   RE: Algebra Textbook Recommendation
Author: ellen4444
Date: Jun 15 2007
I just had to get in on this discussion. The original question referred to
students in a continuation program. A text chosen for more of an independent
study situation needs to be quite different from a traditional text. The ones
mentioned are great but require more class time. I am not a huge fan of Saxon
but it might fit the bill here. Another choice which has worked well for
independent study is from a series called the Tobey/Slater Worktext series.
Since it was designed for college it has many more worked out examples and clear
explanations. You can view it at There is what amounts to
pre-algebra - "Basic College Math" as well as Algebra and beyond.

On Jun 14 2007, db wrote:
> Kenny, I recommend Saxon textbooks.  They have very small lessons
> and I believe are all very good for self-directed study.

> On Jun 14 2007, Kenny C wrote:
> I work in a high school
> continuation program, where students need to
> be able to learn as
> much as they can from their textbooks.  They can
> come in and get
> help, but it is not a teacher directed classroom
> situation.
> Please give me recommendations of what Algebra texts you
> feel
> would be most helpful for students in this situation.  Thanks!

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Algebra discussion

Discussion Help