Subject:   RE: Algebra Textbook Recommendation
Author: ellen4444
Date: Jun 15 2007
I just had to get in on this discussion. The original question referred to
students in a continuation program. A text chosen for more of an independent
study situation needs to be quite different from a traditional text. The ones
mentioned are great but require more class time. I am not a huge fan of Saxon
but it might fit the bill here. Another choice which has worked well for
independent study is from a series called the Tobey/Slater Worktext series.
Since it was designed for college it has many more worked out examples and clear
explanations. You can view it at Amazon.com. There is what amounts to
pre-algebra - "Basic College Math" as well as Algebra and beyond.

On Jun 14 2007, db wrote:
> Kenny, I recommend Saxon textbooks.  They have very small lessons
> and I believe are all very good for self-directed study.

db
> On Jun 14 2007, Kenny C wrote:
> I work in a high school
> continuation program, where students need to
> be able to learn as
> much as they can from their textbooks.  They can
> come in and get
> help, but it is not a teacher directed classroom
> situation.
> Please give me recommendations of what Algebra texts you
> feel
> would be most helpful for students in this situation.  Thanks!

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Algebra discussion

Discussion Help