Subject:   Hoppy: Children enacting computer components
Author: Sonny
Date: Jun 11 2004
I developed this in 1962, for my 8-year-old son, Tim, and 5-year-old
son, Chris. Tim, as LOGIC
CIRCUIT, hopped on the nodes of a FLOWCHART (equivalent of a "Turing Machiine"),
to direct
Chris to hop along a "line" of squares to COUNT, ADD, MULTIPLY, DIVIDE, WRITE
SENTENCES, while
friend, Amy, as PRINTER, wrote results. In ONLINE file,
http://members/fortunecity.com/jonhays/hoppyadds.htm , I describe Hoppy and his
origins; how HOPPY
counts and his "Basket Algorithm" for adding. In the other HOPPY files at
WEBSITE
http://.../jonhays/elementary.htm , I show how HOPPY uses "The Stairstep
Algorithm" to subtract;
uses TABULAR algorithms for multiplying and dividing; uses another flow-chart
for writing
sentences. I also taught this to children at the Campus School of Inter American
University, San
German, Puerto Rico. The children said, "If Hoppy can do it, I can too!"

yes  no

Discussion Help