Subject:   RE: Fractions, concept and calculations
Author: emm
Date: Oct 16 2004
Depending on the student's age, I found this approach very helpful:

1. Ask the student to make the denominator their age, and their numerator any
other age.  If a student is 14, at (1:14), was the child big or little; at 7:14
is the child bigger; at 20:14 is the child bigger, prehaps alot bigger?
etc.

2. Ask the student to make the denominator as money that they want to earn, is
the numerator close to the amount they want.  Do they need to earn alot more
money, or are they pretty close...

3. Ask the student to make the denominator the number of their desired
possessions.  If they want 10 possessions, and they only
have 2, does that mean that they have few possessions. (when discussing
possessions, I try to encourage possession types that are really neutral, like
books, music tapes,..)

I have found this method very effective in getting students to understand the
relationship between the numerator and denominator and their relative closeness.

yes  no

Discussion Help