Subject:   RE: MathDash Feedback Request
Author: maxmathforum
Date: Apr 6 2012
Hi Math Dashers,

I posted on your survey but also wanted to see if we could get a discussion
started among all the smart Math and Tech folks here...

I'm wondering how best to handle the part of the game where two numbers are
combined to make a new digit that's their sum.

If you combine 8 and 6 to get 14, the game currently gives you a 1 digit and a 4
digit. The 1 no longer represents a 1 in the 10s place with a value of 10
units.

To me, that seems like it might subtly reinforce student misconceptions of place
value, and I wonder about other options:

-What if combining 8 and 6 made a 4 and ten 1's?
-What if the user got to choose, quickly, what three numbers they wanted to
partition 14 into?

What else? What are the pluses and minuses of each plan?

Max

yes  no

Discussion Help