Subject:   RE: Tool for Solving Math Word Problems
Author: _Flix
Date: Oct 17 2006
Hi cmk,
I have actually learned a lot about the actual syntax of Flash since I commented
last, and I think that it would not be to hard to get the blocks to snap to the
appropriate location in the empty bar.  I see that there is auto correction
after the check with reasonable tolerances in the multiplication and I think
that you could do that dynamically instead of statically within the symbol
representing the blocks being dragged.  So if you were to have _global variables
that held the starting coordinates for the first block placed in the each empty
area, then in an "on(release)" [on(release) = when the mouse button is released]
call from the block instance you can check to see which empty area the block is
located in via either the block's coordinates (I feel the block symbol should be
registered to the center for this) or by getting the mouse coordinates in the
beginning of the "on(release)" call.  Once you know which empty area the block
should be located in by checking that the coordinates received in the last step
are with in the coordinate range for the empty area, then based on which empty
area the block should snap to change the coordinates of that block to the
appropriate location and iterate the _global variable holding the starting
coordinates for each empty space by the width of the block so the next one will
start in the right location.  You will probably want to set a variable in the
block instance to see if it is in an empty area and which one, this can be done
easily with an integer holding the value -1 for not in an empty area and then
0,1,2.... for the corresponding empty areas.  This way in the "on(release)" you
can check that variable and if it is >= 0 then remove the width of the block
from corresponding empty area.  As a disclaimer I have not tested this theory to
see if it's implementation will work, but the reasoning seems sound and my
experience with flash has taught me that these sorts of things usually like to
work in the programs.  In any case I hope this helps and I still think that the
concept is very well explained in the tool!  I will be posting a game to help
students understand ratio's soon I hope you will be able to let me know what you
think :-)
-Flix

yes  no

Discussion Help