Subject:   Families of Curves
Author: Gene
Date: Oct 22 2003
After a week of vacation and some topics for which I couldn't find good
software,  I'm working on a section entitled Families of Curves today.  For this
topic a very good applet is "Slider Graph,"
http://mathforum.org/mathtools/tool.html?co=pc&new_id=600.

I've asked students to use this applet to write a paragraph about the family of
curves a*sin(b*x+c), describing the effects of the size of a, b, and c and the
signs of these numbers (Warning: the applet starts out with a=b=c=0).

I asked them to do the same thing for the normal density family, which you'd
enter as "exp((-(x-a)^2)/b)."

I'll let you know if this turns out to be a good exercise. The applet makes the
book pages live, but we still have to figure out how to get students
involved.

yes  no

Discussion Help