Subject:   Riemann Sums
Author: Gene
Date: Nov 12 2003
I've just started integration and I'm bowled over by the number of Riemann Sum
choices. Here are some:
Integrator
http://mathforum.org/mathtools/tool.html?id=1065&context=tool&new_id=1061
Riemann Sums (Carlen) http://mathforum.org/mathtools/tool.html?&new_id=939
Riemann Sums (Husch)
http://mathforum.org/mathtools/tool.html?&new_id=1413
Numerical Integration Tutorial
http://mathforum.org/mathtools/tool.html?&new_id=1091
Finding  the area under a curve
http://mathforum.org/mathtools/tool.html?&new_id=1067
Formula Graphing Applets
http://mathforum.org/mathtools/tool.html?&new_id=1071
Rectangle Approximation Method
http://mathforum.org/mathtools/tool.html?&new_id=944

I didn't have time to try them all and decided on Integrator as something that
did what I wanted, not much more, and was easy to use. I demonstrated it in
class today, approximating the integral from 0 to 1 of 1+e^x to enough places
for them to guess the answer, and some similar problems.

The book doesn't have anything directly on computer approximation until later
on, but there is a nice problem about finding n for which the error term
approximation of the integral of 1/x between 1 and 2 gives ln 2 to a certain
number of places, and they can try it out!

yes  no

Discussion Help