Subject:   RE: Math maturity
Author: moursund
Date: Aug 4 2004
When people talk about learning to read and then reading to learn, they tend to
use a threshold model—either you can read to learn, or you can't. But, that is
certainly not correct. From the very first efforts in reading, the reader is
learning something from the content of the sentence or story being read.

The same situation exists in math, especialy in word problems, when using
manipulatives, and in other activities that have a chance of tieing in with the
learner's knowledge of the world. When using a geoboard, for example, a learner
discovers, poses problems, learns about trian and error , and so on. The learner
also learns about rubber bands, and they are a part of the learner's "real
world."

My point is that once we begin to think about mathing to learn, we can see signs
of it at all levels of learning math. If we consider mathing to learn to be an
important idea and educational goal, we can place emphasis on it simultaneously
with helping students learn maht.

yes  no

Discussion Help