Subject:   Expressions and Equatons - middle level
Author: tackweed
Date: Oct 14 2004
Query:  Does anyone have any suitable on-line resources about expressions and
equations which could supplement the following? (i.e., a nice JavaScript that
would display a statement and require the student to type in the expression or
equation...)

Background:

Within the week I will be starting a supplemental lesson to a CMP investigation
on writing rules. The term 'rule' is also variously called a function, an
equation or a formula.

We have been working with variables and have used variables primarily as words.
The next lesson refers to single letter symbols as replacements for variables.
(I add that computer programming tends to co in the other direction by making
variables more descriptive, e.g. 'NumberOfLeftHandedStudents')

At this point, I feel that it is necessary to start using a more conventional
approach to writing expressions and variables. To do this we go through a
discussion of variablea and their respective operations.

Next is a review of the possible ways the English language can rephrase the
expressions and equations.  To this end I have compiled this translation
handout.   http://www2.whidbey.net/ohmsmath/webwork/equations/express.html

At this point expressions are defined as containing a variable and a constant
but no equal sign; an equation contains an equal sign.

Whole group practice is done using a generated list of problems like the one
listed here:

1. 19 added to y
2. The number of boys less 12
3. An amount 16 more than g
4. The product of a and 10
5. 4 more than z
6. A number z more than 17
7. b decreased by 1
8. s divided by 15

1. The number b added to 5 is  20
2. The number of flowers divided by 2 equals  34
4. 6 increased by d equals  8
5. 27 equals the number of boys from 4
6. 11 minus m equals  38
7. 7 added to t equals  46
8. The number of door knobs plus 16 is  48

Thanks

Jeff

yes  no

Discussion Help