Subject:   RE: more on Fractions, concept and calculations
Author: ihor
Date: Jan 24 2005
I was looking at the online version of the book over the weekend. Thanks for the
reference to the chapter on rational numbers. I'm printing it out - though very
slowly - one page at a time - as we speak.
-Ihor

http://www.nap.edu/books/0309074339/html/ -
> look at section 7, 'Pipes, tubes and beakers' -or- if you are really
> in a hurry go to about pages 322 to 331.

The information shows an
> approach on how to tie student experience into the fraction
> situation.  The authors go to lengths to show how fractions are
> confusing in terms of past number experience which they claim is
> based on additive reasoning, whereas rational numbers require
> multiplicative reasoning. While it is not really new stuff, It has
> given me pause as to how various scripts and applets might be
> devised to bridge whole number - rational number experience.

yes  no

Discussion Help