Subject:   my assumptions vs. the applet
Author: Michelle
Date: Nov 21 2003
New Topic
From a students point of view on the Hispaniola project, I liked using pen and
paper better than the computer applet.  When first doing the problem on paper I
assumed that there were two measuring cups and another final container (such as
a mixing bowl) for the water and other ingredients.  When doing the problem on
paper I would put the water into the final container and then subtract from that
container later to get the desired amount of water.  I was disappointed to find
out that on the applet you could only use the two measuring cups.  It really
threw off my thinking process and forced me to change by process.  Since the
problem did state that he was cooking it didn't make much sense to me the he
didn't have another container.  There were times when I also wanted to estimate
during this problem  such as estimating 2oz. in the 4oz measuring cup.  As a
person who occasionally cooks myself I know that when is comes to measuring
liquid nothing is ever exact, it's always just close.   If this problem is used
in the future I hope that it is clearly conveyed that the guy only has the two
measuring cups and that he can not estimate.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the The Hispaniola Water Shortage tool Discussion discussion

Discussion Help