Subject:   Factoring polynomials
Author: Grip
Date: Jun 29 2006
I am going to give a different input that will probably go against some people's
strongly held beliefs.

Why teach factoring of polynomials at an elementary algebra level?

Like other people who have contributed to this thread, I have a hard time
answering when students are going to have to use factoring polynomials?

Since the set of factorable polynomials is a small subset of polynomials, you
have know the answer to write a question, which really defeat the purpose of the
problem-solving.

If you can name an application, then teach factoring when it is needed, not as a
stand-alone skill.

I am looking forward to someone else challenging my thinking on this
subject.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Lesson Plans on PowerPoint discussion
Visit related discussions:
PowerPoint
Lesson Plans

Discussion Help