Subject:   RE: Invitation to Participate in the Design of a Probability Lesson
Author: rabeldin
Date: Aug 30 2005
The most common confusion in the language used to describe events in any
probability course are the ideas: mutually exclusive and independent. Here are
two things I did that seemed to help.

1. I dropped use of "mutually exclusive" in favor of "incompatible". The two
word phrase doesn't have a common meaning that reinforces the technical meaning
while the one word "incompatible" suggests immediately the idea we need.

2. Independence is best described when speaking of experiments rather than
events. The events from independent experiments always satisfy the usual notion
of independent events. I haven't found yet a useful example of independent
events that can't be seen as the outgrowth of independent experiments.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Lesson Plans in Math 7 discussion
Visit related discussions:
Math 7
Lesson Plans

Discussion Help