Subject:   RE: Best & New way to teach Long Division
Author: The Math Guy
Date: Jun 11 2014
The alorithm that is taught to our elementary students is not transparent.  The
only reason for still teaching the divide/multiply/subtract/Bringdown method is
that we need it for dividing and factoring polynomials in Advanced Algebra and
Pre-calc.  There are other algorithms that are both easy and transparent.  The
one that I am most familar with is the one that I was taught in the late 50's.
(So it is not new...) We called it SIDE-LINE-DIVISION but it seems to be
known today as THE BIG SEVEN DIVISION.  It is most transparent and easy to
undrestand.  The first number you put in the quotient has a conntection to the
final answer.  In the traditional algorithm when you divide 3 into 285, the
first number in the quotient is a 9 but that really is the 90 in the final
answer of  95.  We seldom have them put down a 90 (unless you are teaching
partial quotients)  It doesn't teach place value...it just teaches following a
method...an algorithm that was designed for bookkeepers to use the fewest number
of marks - efficient - yes, transparent - no.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Lesson Plans in Math 2 on Android discussion
Visit related discussions:
Math 2
Android
Lesson Plans