Subject:   RE: Graphing calculators
Author: Craig
Date: Jul 29 2005
As a teacher of some students who show up with the TI-89 when others
(including the teacher) have and use a TI-84, I must add a caution to Mr.
Klein's comments.  I agree with all the positive statements about the TI-89,
but, depending on your son's teachers, he may be on his own in learning how to
use it.  Not a problem for a tech-savvy student with lots of drive, but it can
be a problem for the student who figured "if 84 is good, 89 must be better,
especially since it's more expensive."  In particular, data manipulation and
matrix work on the TI-89 are less intuitive than on the TI-84, and the
programming language is different.  Your best bet is to ask the teachers at your
son's school, both those who know him and his capabilities, and those who teach
higher-level courses, what they would recommend.  But by all means, if your
son really "gets into" technology, the TI-89 will provide both challenge and
greater capacity.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Tools on Calculator discussion
Visit related discussions:
Calculator
Tools

Discussion Help