Subject:   RE: Re: Homework
Author: Boucly
Date: Sep 20 2006
On Sep 20 2006, Mathman wrote:
> On Sep 20 2006, kscoastie wrote:
> You are absolutely right.  I
> always knew that homework was a problem
> area and I have even had
> "no homework" policies in the past.

>Over all it takes much less
> time
> to go over a couple "problem" problems than to correct an
> entire
> assignment or have the students find out they don't
> understand
> something when they thought they did.

How does one
> improve except by practice?

How does one learn without struggle
> and failure and the persistence to overcome any difficulties and
> turn failure into success?

The students will certainly find out
> in later years what they really did or did not understand as it then
> comes to them either relatively easy [through the past practice
> needed for mastery] or with increasing difficulty as newer concepts
> must be set aside to re-study the old.

In one university modern
> phyics course, the prof assigned a problem early in the course.
> Only a few of us attempted it.  I kept getting bogged down, and all
> he would say was "Good so far, now keep trying."    I was one who
> did, and got it after a couple of weeks of frustration and effort.
> From that point on, the course was much simplified as concepts
> learned through that effort came into play.  Homework, properly
> assigned and properly administered is an asset, not a detriment.  Of
> course most teen-aged students would rather skateboard, and I'd
> rather eat pizza, but homework practiced diligently becomes easier
> as a term progresses, and much easier as it is practiced
> conscientiously throughout the school years.  It must not be
> onerous.  It must be well within presumed capabilities [or they
> should be studying another simpler course instead], and it should be
> expected.  As with any other discipline, you don't find the time,
> you make the time.

David.
---------------------

I totally agree with you about the frustration bit. My mum made me to work on
Maths when I just started Kindergarden, I was around three or four then. I
advanced pretty quickly and I did tons of exercises each wweek after that. I had
to be forced to do it but it was worth it now that I look back then. On the down
side of that, I missed out on too much of my childhood where others would have
made lots of friends and play games and stuff. I wasn't home-schooled but my
mum gave me so much extra exercises and practise over exams that it seemed like
extra school time. Plus, I did not get to go out, play computer or skate or eat
pizza. I only watched TV every now and then. But the family bond though I think
is a bit stronger than others but I did not have any friends, still don't :( I
am almost sixteen now and guess what, I had been the top of the class for about
four to five years now in Maths. It does pay of to contribute time to work one
way or another. My big problem now is that my mum stopped looking at my work
quite a while back. My grade is not slipping yet but I can feel that it will be
soon if I don't do somehting about it. I just don't have any motivation to do
homework or revise, let alone do extra-exercise. I just play games now and do
computer programming. Does anyone know a way that I can motivate myself a lot
more than I do now?

Chris

yes  no
Visit related discussions: