*username/password for any access
**username/password for full access
Day 2: More Visualizing Algebra
Five Dimensions: Mathematics, Technology, Teaching, Learning, and Assessing
What will you check on regularly?
- PoW Revisions
- My MathTools
8:30 - 9:00 To Review
Using what was introduced Day 1, try this:
- Login to Math Tools
- Search or browse for a useful tool
- Save it to My MathTools
- Post to a discussion
- Rate some tools and possibly write some comments
9:00 - 9:30 Let's talk more about Math Tools
Now that you've tried that on your own, do you have questions? comments? suggestions?
9:30 - 10:00 One More Look (Philadelphia)
9:30 - 10:00 Let's Do Math (Houston)
10:00 - 10:15 Assignments
10:15 - 11:30 Problem Solving
11:30 - 12:00 Lunch
12:00 - 1:00 tPoW - Runners
- Preview the Runners tPoW
- write an explanation on the wiki
- submit a solution
- keep a copy of your explanation in your wiki to the Runners problem
- Go to the Discussion Board and post your explanation. Also, describe how writing your explanation affected your understanding of the math. What are your experiences with having students write about math?
- After reading and contributing to the discussion, look again at your draft of your explanation and see if your thinking has developed in any way. If so, write a new draft of your explanation.
1:00 - 1:30 Lesson Planning Time
Introduce the idea that each of the following days we'll take time for you to think and plan some units of the current math curriculum that you would like to think about during the week. Are there any particular math topics that are on your mind these days? How might you use Runners? (Go through PoW Library or Math Tools to find something that they'll use with their students the first month of school. This will be the basis of a presentation of Thursday -- present the PoW or Tool, talk about how the students might have difficulties and the questions the teacher could ask to help them with their mathematical thinking.)
1:30 - 2:50 Concert Chat Discussion 1:30 (Philly)/12:30 (Houston)
- Open Concert Chat
- Practice session in the Sandbox
- Open 3055: Birthday Trip.
- Explore the problem together in teams.
- Look carefully at Gia's solution on the Student Solutions page. What would you conclude about Gia's understanding of fractions? What does she seem to understand and not understand? What seems to be a fundamental mistake she made?
- If Gia were your student, what might you ask her to help her correct her misunderstandings?
- As time permits look at other student solutions.
2:50 - 3:00 Reflection Time Please use this online form.
go to Day 3
Send comments to the facilitators: Annie, Cynthia, Steve, and Suzanne