High School Software
Ask Dr. Math Questions ||
Lessons and Materials
General Measurement Software
Descriptions and Ordering Information
- AMATH - Pre Algebra - Woodruff Consulting, Inc.
- AMATH is a complete, self-paced, computer driven, adult level course designed as an intervention device to help those who have completed the course work in K-8 math, but cannot do the work. Most teenagers and pre-teens respond better when treated as an adult. We estimate that 80% of the U.S. population cannot do K-8 math at a level sufficient to do well in a high school Algebra I class. Measurement is one of the main topics of this course.
- Concepts of Measurement - Edsoft (ESI) Online
- Measurement of time, and perimeter and area of simple polygons.
- Exploring Measurement, Time, and Money - IBM Education
- Software description, benefits, packaging, professional benefits, and more.
- Geometry Investigations - Tenth Planet
- Geometry that integrates key concepts from other mathematical areas such as number and measurement, covering topics such as spatial relationships, shapes, patterns and symmetry. These units help students develop geometric thinking and spatial sense, which form a firm foundation for upper elementary and secondary work in mathematics.
- Mathlab: Measurement Concepts - Edsoft (ESI) Online
- A program that helps students learn and improve basic math skills through measurement activities. By transforming the computer screen into a drawing board with rulers, compass, protractor, grids, calculator, and note pad, MathLab enables students to solve problems selected from a wide range of topics and presented through interesting and practical applications. MathLab also offers windows, pull-down menus, and dialog boxes.
- Measurement - Edsoft (ESI) Online
- Metric System: Length and Area, Weight and Volume; U.S. Customary Measurements and Metric Equivalents, Denominate Numbers, Applications in Medicine.
- Measurement in Motion - Learning in Motion
- Most measurement-based learning activities pretend that the world stands still. It doesn't. Measurement in Motion helps students measure and analyze anything that can be pictured or filmed. With easy-to-use measurement tools, learners create points, lines, angles, areas, and numeric data on each changing frame of the movie. Students can display information in numeric tables, line graphs, bar charts, histograms, or scatter plots. Students mathematically analyze information in a movie by simply dragging a connection from the movie to a graph or a table. In this example, the movie shows how the length of two shadows changes during a day. Measurement in Motion is available for the Macintosh. It requires System 7 or greater, a color monitor, and at least 2 megabytes of free RAM.
- Download a Demonstration of this software.
- Measurements - Edsoft (ESI) Online
- In scientific fields measurements are of major importance. In electronics, the design, construction, and repair of electronic devices would not be possible without the aid of calculations and measurements. This program covers the International System of Measurement, scientific notation, prefixes, and unit conversion.
- Measurements: Length, Mass, and Volume - Edsoft (ESI) Online
- Three programs on one disk: measuring length, mass, and volume. Each type of measurement allows for an unlimited number of variations for practice as well as tutorial information. Includes techniques and problems associated with use of metric ruler, triple beam balance, and graduated cylinder. High-resolution graphics. Includes lesson planner and back up disk.
- Time: How We Measure It - Edsoft (ESI) Online
- Explores the development of the methods used to measure time in a lively animated format. Primitive forms of measuring time, including the Greek sundial, the Chinese water watch, and the first clock developed by Huygens, led to today's method of telling time through the use of the Greenwich Meridian and the Atomic Clock. Includes detailed barcoded teacher's guide with summary, investigative questions, synopsis, teacher questions & answers and reproducible student question worksheet.
Back to Contents
Metric Units and Unit Conversion Software
Descriptions and Ordering Information
- ConversionCalc - AdenaCorp
- A full-featured scientific calculator integrated with numerical conversions. It has fourteen significant digits for all operations and is available in a 16-bit version for Windows 3.1 and a 32-bit version for Windows 95 and Windows NT.
- Mastering Units of Measurement - Edsoft (ESI) Online
- Topics include units of measurement, changing between units, converting metric measures, the graduated cylinder, and measuring liquids, solids, and gases. Simulations, interactive exercises, extensive drill and practice and assistance when needed ensure mastery and comprehension. IBM requires CGA or better.
- RTP Converter - Chuck Smyrniotis
- Do you often find yourself looking for a reference manual to figure out measurement conversions? The RPT-1 Converter takes the place of a reference manual and is designed to be a tool that meets everyday needs.
Calculators for Unit Conversion
- Cook's Calculator - Dragon Street Pictures
- Converts units of weight, temperature, or volume.
- IC Measurement Converter - Internet Chefs/Ryan Roper
- With High Altitude Adjustments. Convert to/from cups, teaspoons, gallons, liters, milliliters, quarts, pints, fluid ounces, pounds, and kilograms.
- Measurement Conversion Calculator - Entisoft
- Many online calculators require a java-capable browser. Here's one that doesn't: Entisoft's calculator will perform over 500 different unit conversions for distance, area, volume, mass, speed, temperature, pressure, energy, power, force, etc.
© 1994- Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.