Author: Joanne Caniglia
Grade Level: 3-5
Description: This instructional aide will help students to read a thermometer as well as match the degree of temperature with an event. (No formulas are given.)
Objective: The student will be able to:
- Create a thermometer and discuss referents for both Celsius and Fahrenheit temperature readings.
- Read positive and negative temperatures.
- 1" elastic about 2 feet
- Magic Markers -- red
- Poster board
Activities and Procedures:
A thermometer can be made by cutting 2 feet of elastic and coloring one-half of it red. Two slits each one inch from the top and bottom are to be cut. On the side of the elastic, draw marks to indicate temperature degrees. The degrees should be approximately 1 cm apart. After pulling the elastic through the poster board, staple the two ends in the back.
- Ask students what type of a day it is if the temperature is 20 degrees C.
- -20 degrees C
- 40 degrees C
- 0 degrees C
- Ask students questions regarding the addition and subtraction of degrees after a given time period:
- At 3:00 am the temperature was 57 degrees.
- At 4:00 am the temperature was 60 degrees.
- At 5:00 am the temperature was 64 degrees.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help