2012 Index Page
Participant Outreach Activities
Update Contact Info
Send Note: Suzanne & Richard
Reasoning from Data & Chance
Exploring Discrete Math
Learning about Geometric Groups
Implementing Lesson Study
Summer Math Camp
Roster, Schedule, Photos, Problems
E-table - Las Cruces, New Mexico
Ning: PCMI 2012
Go to PCMI Ning: Shared Practices to access materials, examples and files [requires login]
Go to Shared Practices, Monday, July 16th session
- Standards Based Grading, an Interpretation
- Ashli Black
- SBG is quite the buzzword in some math ed circles and there are more
varieties out there than you can shake a stick at. In this
presentation I will discuss how I implimented SBG in my own classroom
as a tool to evaluate student understanding of fundamental skills, as
a way to flex the variable of time in student learning, and as a way
to expose my data-driven teaching decisions to my students. I will
also have visuals of what it looks like in my classroom and how my
participation in PCMI last year changed my system for the better this
past school year.
- Peter Sell
- I use a game I call DIGITS. It's like mastermind. Students make guesses and get feedback in terms of how many digits are correct and how many are in the right place. Students use the results and deduce the correct number. I would need to make copies of a handout for participants and I would need a smart board, whiteboard, or chalkboard.
- The Googled Classroom
- Sara Rezvi
- I will show how I use google docs, forms, spreadsheets, and surveys in my classroom in a variety of ways such as:
- The Laws of Sines and Cosines: Exeter's Approach
- Philip Mallinson
- I will show a brief sequence of problems that illustrate Exeter's approach to the laws of sines and cosines.
- Two-Dice Toss
- Monica Tienda
- This dice activity helps students:
(a) gain experiential knowledge of the results of tossing two dice.
(b) encourages students to develop a growing understanding of probability.
(c) makes data collection fun AND meets middle school CCSM standards.
(d) all of the above.