From: Loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005031910:56:54
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Give me a break!

On 2005031813:05:43, Chyanna wrote:
>Parents please note an estimation is just an educated guess therefore
>when students learn estimation they are made aware that it is not the
>actual answer. Therefore the answer could be more or less. Our
>students must learn how to make estimation because in life we all get
>estimations for the cost of different things. When we want to build a
>house the contractor gives us an estimate of the cost which means we
>may pay more or less to get it built. Also when go shopping we
>estimate the cost of an item so we take more money than is needed at
>times to cover our expenditure. So do not feel like students should
>not be taught this skill, it is very important. So all you need to do
>as parents is reinforce what teachers teach. They know what they are
>doing that is why

Parents are complaining about estimation but that the so called frond
end estimation is not defined exactly from teacher to teacher or from
text book to text book.  I can understand there complaints.  I have
personnally seen students papers that were graded as wrong when the
childs answer appeard correct to me.

If we are going to use FEE than it needs to be exactly defined.  I
like the tried and true rounding myself.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/