Q&A #1154

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Front End Estimation

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Bryan

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003050813:23:36
Subject: Uses of Front end Estimation

Two of my friends were discussing “Front End Estimation” that they were trying to teach in their second grade classes. I had never heard of it, so they explained it to me and then wondered where it would be used. I read the other postings, but have not seen any persuasive example that showed a need for this type of estimation. Does anyone have an example of when “Front End Estimation” would be a significant advantage over “rounding” or looking at the most significant digits? Does anyone know if the method uses the first two digits or only the first digit (the posted discussions were unclear)? The method, as explained to me, was: “59”, “54”, “55” are all “50” using Front End Estimation. Thank you in advance, Bryan

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®