From: Bryan <bryan_harrison@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003050812:23:36
Subject: Uses of Front end Estimation

Two of my friends were discussing “Front End Estimation” that they
were trying to teach in their second grade classes.  I had never heard
of it, so they explained it to me and then wondered where it would be
used.  I read the other postings, but have not seen any persuasive
example that showed a need for this type of estimation.  Does anyone
have an example of when “Front End Estimation” would be a significant
advantage over “rounding” or looking at the most significant digits?

Does anyone know if the method uses the first two digits or only the
first digit (the posted discussions were unclear)?  The method, as
explained to me, was:
            “59”, “54”, “55” are all “50” using Front End Estimation.

Thank you in advance,
Bryan

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question