Q&A #1154

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Front End Estimation

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Theresa Gauthier

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007110720:59:04
Subject: Re: Front-End Estimation - is it really helpful?

Hi, I am currently doing my student teaching for third grade and we are doing estimation right now. I agree that it is different then when I was in school but they use "front-end", which you were right is the first number in the set of letters; however, you were also right about $17.00 not being greater. He was confusing front-end with over and under estimation. With this type of estimation if he had a problem like.....$6.90 + $4.32 + $7.86...the student would add the first numbers 6+4+7, which would be $17.00; however since there is obviously cents added to these sums $17 would be less then the equation. The also do an estimation where they use the easiest way to add....such as 548 + 512 = 550 + 510....I know this is confusing but if there is anytime you get stuck feel free to e-mail me and I will help you if at all possible. It's great to see a parent take an interest in their child's homework; unfortunately we do not see as much as there should be. Sincerely, Theresa Gauthier Student Teacher Wisconsin

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®