From: Theresa Gauthier <indy28@charter.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007110720:59:04
Subject: Re: Front-End Estimation - is it really helpful?

Hi, I am currently doing my student teaching for third grade and we
are doing estimation right now.  I agree that it is different then
when I was in school but they use "front-end", which you were right is
the first number in the set of letters; however, you were also right
about $17.00 not being greater.  He was confusing front-end with over
and under estimation.  With this type of estimation if he had a
problem like.....$6.90 + $4.32 + $7.86...the student would add the
first numbers 6+4+7, which would be $17.00; however since there is
obviously cents added to these sums $17 would be less then the
equation.  The also do an estimation where they use the easiest way to
add....such as 548 + 512 = 550 + 510....I know this is confusing but
if there is anytime you get stuck feel free to e-mail me and I will
help you if at all possible.

It's great to see a parent take an interest in their child's homework;
unfortunately we do not see as much as there should be.

Sincerely,
Theresa Gauthier
Student Teacher Wisconsin

Post a reply to this message