Q&A #1154

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Front End Estimation

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Ali Elghoul

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004101912:58:18
Subject: front end estimation

My name is Ali Elghoul, and I am a Secondary Math Education Major at Henry Ford Community College in Dearborn, Michigan. It has been almost 12 years since I dealt with front-end estimation, but, boy, I remember it as if it was yesterday. Front-end estimation consists of working with the front-end digits of a number. Here is an example of estimating a sum of two addends using front-end estimation. Estimate 285 + 134 using front-end estimation. Add the front-end digits of 285 and 134. Change the remaining digits to 0's. Add 200 + 100 = 300 So, 300 is the front-end estimation of 285 + 134

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®