From: Darrell Hoover

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004091500:03:27
Subject: Re: Rounding is MORE ACCURATE!!!

I agree with you entirely. I taught math (elementary through high school) for eight years and never found any usefulness in grading students on their mastery of front end estimation. Rounding is far more useful and accurate. Estimating means that there is more than one correct answer, but rounding requires some level of precision (to the nearest hundred, ten, et cetera); however, in our current curriculum, only one answer is correct, and a student can get an F in front end estimation after studying it for two weeks, because he missed the book answer half of the time in a skill that is useless to begin with. The people writing the test criteria need to hear our voice and eliminate this waste of time. To me, it is only an art and not real math. It's an aid and not a solution. It is not science at all. Darrell

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/