Q&A #1234

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Rounding off-Estimation

View entire discussion
[ next >>]

From: Judy

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000101214:57:40
Subject: Re: Rounding numbers-Estimation

I've found that my students that have trouble with rounding respond well to what I call Rounding Mountain. Basically, I draw a mountain and number it. 0-4 are going up the mountain, 5 is on top leaning forward just a bit and 6-9 are going down the other side of the mountain. When a child needs to round a number they look at what they are rounding. Let's say that they are rounding 46 to the nearest ten. When they look at the mountain, they see that the easiest route for that number is to go forward or round up to 50. The number can be adjusted depending on the value being rounded, tens, hundreds, thousands, etc. Rounding mountain provides a visual picture that they can use. With repeated use, students soon learn to round without the dependence on the mountain. There are many other ways, but I've found that this generally works with most of my students. Good luck. -Judy, for the Teacher2Teacher service Visit us again at http://forum.swarthmore.edu/t2t/

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®